Thursday, April 14, 2011

Little Bunny Loves Easter Basket

I love my blankie!

My little ty Bunny, Happy Spring, is all wrapped up in his new blankie...

EASTER BASKET!

Doesn't he look cute?

I blogged about Easter Basket's ripple pattern (here).

The corner has three Spike stitches separated by four single crochet stitches.

I winged the edging...making it up as I went along.  

This is my first time using a "spike" stitch and I like the results.

Another look at my edging

In case you would like to try my edging (American stitch terms):

Round 1:  (color Soft Lilac) start in corner stitch chain 3, 2dc in same stitch, *dc in next stitch repeat dc to next corner, 3dc in corner stitch* repeat * 3 times to end.  Join with slip stitch, fasten off.
Round 2:  (color Lemon) start in corner stitch chain 1, 2sc in same stitch, *sc in next stitch repeat sc to next corner, 3sc in corner stitch* repeat * 3 times to end.  Join with slip stitch, fasten off.
Rounds 3 - 6:  (color Soft Lilac) start in corner stitch chain 1, 2sc in same stitch, *sc in next stitch repeat sc to next corner, 3sc in corner stitch* repeat * 3 times to end.  Join with slip stitch, fasten off.
Round 7:  (color Lemon) start in corner with spike stitch, then *four sc in next four stitches, spike stitch in next sc* repeating around* to the end.  Join with slip stitch, fasten off.  There should be three spike stitches in each corner each spike stitch separated by four sc stitches.  You may have to adjust the single crochets stitches to make it look uniform.  My spike stitch looped down to round 3.

Working a "spike" stitch:  Insert the hook over the number of rows down from the row being worked, taking the point right through the fabric to the wrong side.  Wrap the yarn over the hook and draw through, lengthening the loop to the height of the working row.  To finish the "spike", complete the stitch in the usual way.  When working "spike" stitches take care not to pull the loop too tight as this will distort the fabric.

Working the Spike Stitch


Yarn used:
Bernat Baby Jacquards in Easter Basket variegated yarn (90% acrylic/10% nylon) for the ripple body;
Bernat Softee Baby, 100% acrylic in Lemon for edging.  
Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly baby sport (100% acrylic) in Soft Lilac for edging.

Hook size:  G


"Easter Basket" all laid out.

She's a small baby blanket measuring 28 inches by 34 inches.  

The blanket is very soft and lightweight.  It will be perfect for summer.

Introducing "Easter Basket"!


"Easter Basket" is a gift for one of my nieces who is expecting her first child, a girl, this May.   I have some yarn left over so I may try to make booties and a little top.

Let me know if you try my edging.  I hope you can read my instructions...I'm very new at writing them.


Join:
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday

Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show of Your Cottage Monday


8 comments:

  1. Perfect for a newborn baby, Sandy. I like the edging, I never saw it before. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are really churning out these blankets here Sandy!! Lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OoOoOOOoOOoh! I've done the spike stitch, but never for an edging. I really LOVE it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, love the colors~ Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket is super-cute for a baby! Love it and the edging you used. So clever and pretty. It's a wonderful gift. She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty blanket, so soft and pretty! I love your border. Would you mind sharing the title of that book? I used the long double crochet before which may be the same stitch with a different name. Very nice blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the sweet comments!

    Carol - the book is Jan Eaton's The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques - I reference it all the time. It's a fantastic book and I would highly recommend purchasing it.

    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Sandy! I will definitely check it out. Glad I found your blog. Your projects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete