Friday, January 29, 2021

This and That..my iPhone Cases & My Sewing Room

 Sewing Room

Since I have been working on my sewing panel projects my sewing area in our Hobby Room really got messy!  Finally, this week I cut up left over pieces of fabric and batting to put in my doggie bag.  It’s a great way to utilize these scraps and some day will be a bed for a rescue doggie.  The cutting table is cleared...whew...so happy.

I bought some fabric eye glass cases at a Quilt Show last year and I have used them to hold my iPhone.  I pin the case to my pants waistband.  I don’t know why women’s pockets are made so shallow.  I like deep pockets to hold my iPhone and realized it was too much work to enlarge all my slacks pockets.  Much easier to make a few iPhone cases.  My first one was too small, the second one I used the eye glass case as a pattern but wasn’t happy because the seams showed inside.  I googled an excellent video of sewing a small tote bag with no seams showing and I was off.  I could make 2 in 30 minutes once I had my pattern and measurement down.  


IPhone Cases

Follow my steps to make an iPhone case.

1.  I cut my fabric pieces 4.5 by 14 inches.  (Some I cut a little larger depending on how thick the phone case is to 4.75 inches).  I used Pellon 926 Extra Firm Stabilizer.

2.  I quilted the right side (outside) fabric to the stabilizer.  And sewed up the side seams and added box corners.

3.  I turned the right side fabric to the outside but the inside fabric (lining) is left inside out.  So when they are sewn together the right sides are facing each other.  The right side and lining  are both done with boxed corners.


4.  Stitching the lining and outside fabric together.




5.  A small opening is left in the lining on one side so the right side (outside) fabric can be pulled through and then that opening is stitched closed.


6.  Then the edge is stitched around.


7.  All done.

My niece and her Mom asked me to make them some too.  So I whipped up five more.



I forgot to take photos of all of them.

Do you want to see my sewing area?  When we were planning our new retirement home, we decided to have a super large hobby room.  One half would be for my hubby’s model trains and the other half would be for my sewing.  We were thrilled to think of having all that room. 

Unfortunately, and sadly, my hubby didn’t live to see his side set up.  So, I had this huge room that was mostly empty.  I had Closet Factory put in shelving in my sewing closet and added a wall of cabinets to put my hubby’s model train equipment and photography stuff away.  I bought three more sewing machines.

Then my niece moved in with me and we planned to set up my hubby’s side for a small business for her.  She has it set up nicely but has been too sick to start her business.

I modified a few of my hubby’s model train tables for my nieces’s use and one for me as an ironing station which has worked out beautifully.


I love my cutting table.  I bought it a few years before we moved from Pennsylvania to Ohio.  The TV belongs to my niece’s boyfriend.  He moved in this past year and has been such a help and blessing for us.  He does all the shopping and running around for my niece and myself.  My niece has Lupus and many other illnesses and I’m in my 70s so we are at risk with COVID 19.  I’m so glad I’m not alone during this pandemic.  


As you can see, my fabric really needs some refolding and organization.  That’s on my to-do list.  I purchased the big covered ironing board and it fits the former model train table nicely.  Buried under the mess is a sewing cabinet next to the ironing station.  It was my mother’s, and before my Mom, was my paternal grandmother’s Singer sewing machine from the early 1940s.  It needs to be repaired one of these days but when working it stitches beautifully and even has a reverse stitch.

Well, that’s all for today.   I don’t know if anybody reads my blog anymore.  But if you are visiting I hope you enjoy reading about my life and hobbies.  Have a lovely day!



6 comments:

  1. Hi! I still read your blog - I really like that it comes to my email. I'm so sorry you lost your husband. My husband and I are both 66, so we don't go out much now, either. I look forward to seeing more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! Treasure your husband everyday. Mine was only 66 when I lost him. This March I will have been in our “new” retirement home six years. My hubby only had 4 months here. I wish he could see it now with the lawn in and everything unpacked and in place. Hug your hubby!

      Delete
  2. I watch you. I lost my dear husband of 36 years just before you. I made his study into my craft room and brought his very large desk home. It is so useful for crafting and my daughters made a large frame with all of the photos of him which is overlooking the desk, so in a way it is still his room too. I have my middle daughter living at home and we have kept each other company throughout Covid. My other children live close by and do any errands that we need, so I am very fortunate. I enjoy looking at your craft work and am very impressed with your craft room. Keep up the good work and best wishes, Mary (Maryfairy on Ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Sorry to hear of your lost too. I did the same thing with my hubby’s office. I put his treasured childhood toys on the shelves, along with his work memorabilia. I put up photos of him and our life together so when I work on finances I see him and all the wonderful times we had. We didn’t have children so having my niece here is so special. I’m glad to hear your middle daughter is living with you. I’m slowly returning to blogging. My hubby use to be so proud of my blog. Never thought I would be here without him. Thanks for staying with me.

      Delete
  3. I am still here and reading your blog!!!! Please don't stop writing it.
    I love your sewing room and those iPhone cases. I will have to try to make one...or two.
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addie for the very sweet comment!

      Delete