Sunday, January 17, 2021

Charming Christmas Tree Wall Hanging

Just a few days before Christmas I decided to try my version of the free quilting pattern, “Charming Christmas Tree” by Pat Sloan.  It seemed everyone was making this fun pattern.  I used scrap fabrics I had on hand in some of my favorite Christmas patterns and colors. 


This pattern is made up of 2.5 inch squares and half square triangles.  When I tried sewing the half square triangles in the method where you draw a diagonal line and sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line, my squares ended up much smaller than 2.5 inches.  I tried cutting the squares larger to 3 inches but that sample was still too small.  I ended up stitching on the diagonal line and cutting off the part not needed.  Those were perfect 2.5 inch squares.  

After attaching the inner border of mixed fabric squares, I discovered I had just enough of a lovely green fabric for the outer border.  I liked it better than using white as the pattern instructed.


To embellish the tree I drew a star pattern, cut out the star from a yellow fabric and appliquéd it to the top of the tree.  I used my Jamone 15000 sewing machine’s triple stitch to add the rays coming out from the star.


I had some fabric scraps printed with cardinals so I fussy cut four cardinals and appliquéd them under the tree.  To finish it off, I used red fabric for the binding.


I free motion quilted falling snowflakes and snow drifts.  I tried out my new Marcia Baraldi Quilting Grip gloves I ordered from Amazon and really liked them.  They have excellent grip on the palms and one’s fingers are free.  


I have taken down my Christmas decorations but this adorable wall hanging is still up.  I just love it.  I have removed my Christmas ornaments from my pencil 7.5 foot new tree and switched from colored lights to white.  I now have my Winter Tree which will be up until the tree bag I ordered from Amazon is delivered.  Last year I started storing some Christmas decorations upstairs rather then in the unfinished basement.  This way I don’t have to lug everything up and down the stairs.  I’m thinking about storing the new tree in my guest room closet (if it fits) along with the ornaments.  But first I have to measure and go through the old clothing I have in there. I’m lucky my niece, MJ, and her fellow, Andrew, currently live with me so Andrew carries the heavy stuff for me. 


I really need the cheer during this COVID isolation and all the political crap going on. It continues to be lonely facing each day without my hubby.  At least my hobbies and house responsibilities keep me occupied.  But now holidays and special occasions will never be as happy and joyful as they were with my sweetheart.  


Friends gifted me this huge beautiful Poinsettia plant!  I can’t believe I haven’t “killed” it yet.  I usually “kill” any house plant.  At least I’ve learned.  I’m not over watering this one.  

And here is a photo of my Christmas Tree decorated with ornaments and colored lights.


  I called this my “smart” Christmas tree because it is prelit and I can program either colored or white lights in various modes.  The star topper is similar.  I am so pleased how nice it fits into it’s space in my Great Room.  Excuse the furniture moved out, I was still working on how and where to plug it in.

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment