Monday, April 16, 2012

Light & Fluffy Cheesecake


Yesterday I made a cheesecake from scratch...for only the second time in my almost 38 years of married life.



When I found Mary Ahearn's recipe (here) on Pinterest for a LIGHT & FLUFFY cheesecake I had to make it.

I come from a family that loved the very light, melt in your mouth, fluffy cake-like textured cheesecake baked at our Cleveland area Hough Bakeries.

 My Dad, older brother and I absolutely loved their cheesecake.

 If any readers have the original Hough Bakeries cheesecake recipe I would love a copy ((please!)).

 The Internet states that Kraft General Foods purchased the company name and recipes after Hough Bakeries filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 1992.




Ever since the Hough Bakeries closed many years ago I have dreamed about their cheesecake and I am constantly hunting for a light and fluffy textured cheesecake.

 Most cheesecakes out there now are the New York Style which is a heavier, creamy type of cheesecake. I will eat it, of course, but it's not my favorite.

 As far as store-bought cheesecakes, I found the Wegmans Grocery Stores in our area makes a "sort of lighter texture" cheesecake that is delicious.




Mary's recipe calls for six egg whites whipped to stiff peaks to fill the mixture with air to make it lighter and fluffier.




It was easy to mix up with my Kitchen Aid mixer.




The only mistake I made was not baking it a little longer...after an hour in the 325 degree oven I thought the toothpick came out clean but it didn't. Of course I didn't realize it until after the cheesecake sat in the turned off oven for another hour.



Luckily it wasn't ruined...I put it back in the oven until the toothpick finally came clean. I won't make that mistake next time. LOL!

After chilling the cheesecake for a few hours I had a piece last night and it was very good. I loved the breadcrumb base. I think the only changes I would recommend...the next time I make it... is add some lemon zest and a little more sugar to make it a tiny bit sweeter.

You can find the original recipe (here) along with Mary's videos which were very helpful.

Maybe I have inspired you to try this delicious cheesecake recipe.

Note to self: Freeze it because Hubby isn't a cheesecake lover like I am and I have to watch those calories. I calculated calories for a 1/12 piece is 472.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. I love cheesecake, I like a really creamy dense NY style, but light and fluffy would work for me too! I always read comments that people tend to "over bake" cheesecake. I hate to have a crack on top but sometimes to get the clean toothpick it comes very close to that. I still eat it though. lol xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy, will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos sure look tempting. Ive always been a NY cheesecake lover, but I could go for light and fluffy.
    It looks so tempting.

    I hope you find the original recipe you are looking for.

    cheers
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que delícia Sandy...
    Deve ter ficado muito gostoso.
    Parabéns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy! I don't like heavy and dense cheesecakes >:P yuck. But I do like light and airy ones, and this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too liked hough cheesecakes and am driving myself crazy trying to find the recipe...did you get it yet ?? these are so hard to find it's as tho it's a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete