Saturday, July 16, 2011

Talent Round Up Day!

Hi I'm "Friday"!

My Mickey Mouse Club Teddy Bear!

The "Mickey Mouse Club" week ended on Friday with "Talent Round-Up Day."

Mickey closed out the week-long fun on a western theme, wearing a ten-gallon hat and spinning a lariat. 

He launched the show with a friendly "Hi, pardners!" to ready us to join the Mouseketeers clothed in their best cowboy and cowgirl finery. 

Music for Friday's show was written by George Bruns, lyrics by Gil George (pseudonym for frequent contributing lyricist, studio nurse Hazel George): 

Saddle your pony, here we go
Down to the talent rodeo.
Gather up Susie, Jack and Joe,
Join the talent round-up.
Round 'em up, bring 'em in,
Everybody's sure to win.
Step right up, here we go,
Oh, what a rodeo!
Bring along Dinah, Bob and Bill,
Ask everybody on the hill.
We're gonna have a great big thrill,
Join the talent round-up.
Round 'em up, bring 'em in,
Everybody's sure to win.
Step right up, here we go,
Oh, what a rodeo!
Bring along Mary, Jim and Moe,
Ask everybody you may know.
We're going to have a great big show,
Join the talent round-up.
Step right up, step right up,
Here we go, here we go,
Join the round-up rodeo!


I don't know about you but everyday after school in the 1950s I came home and watched the Mickey Mouse Club and then America Bandstand.  

My favorite Mickey Mouse Club day was "Talent Round-Up Day"!

I loved watching the Mouseketeers dance out on the stage on their "ponies".  Here's a fun clip of that opening!


(Don't forget to go down to the bottom of my blog and turn the sound down on My Podmix music so you can hear this video.)








This is a fantastic book giving the history of the Mickey Mouse Club and it's loaded with lots of photos.

Who's your favorite?


All of the Mouseketeers were so talented.  

I liked Annette and Darlene!


Marty, Annette and Spin

Even my Hubby watched the Mickey Mouse Club serial "Spin and Marty"!  

The first season's show was about boys at a summer horse camp. 

The next season they bought the girls in probably because the boys were getting older. 


Mr. Jimmie Dodd

A great man!
Don't you wish we had TV shows like this now?  

Good, clean, fun shows...teaching kids principles for living.  

My Annette Funicello Mickey Mouse Club Talent Round Up Teddy Bear


I finally got my Mouse ears when I bought this adorable Teddy Bear from the Annette Funicello Collection.

We're planning on taking an RV trip down to Walt Disney World (Hurray!) in Florida this fall in our new travel van. 

And maybe a stop at Univeral Studios to see Harry "Hogwarts" Potter Land too.

And...then on to the Florida Keys for some snorkeling fun. 


So...were you a Mouseketeer fan?  

  


  

5 comments:

  1. Annette, of course. How fun is this posting. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I was a fan! "Meeska Mooska Mouseketeer, Mousekartoon time now is here!" LOVE the bear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't have Mouseketeers in the Uk, my 50's TV memories are of Muffin the Mule, Bill and Ben, The Woodentops et al. I loved the radio programmes such as Uncle Mac's Children's Hour and was an Ovaltiney (complete with brown mug with its blue nightcap!)
    Yes, it is a pity we don't have such wonderful shows now but no doubt today's children will look back on their favourites with similar nostalgia for 'the good old days'.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I wish I could be a stowaway on your travel van, Disney World is one of my favorite places, and I have always wanted to go to the Florida keys. It sounds like a great trip. And Annette and Darlene were my favorites, too! M-I-C-K-E-Y
    M-O-U-S-E...........the good old days. (sigh) xo,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Well I'm all caught up on your van roadtrips. Looks like you are having a great time traveling and still keeping everything close by to make it your own cozy spot.

    ReplyDelete