Monday, October 22, 2012

Black on White

Remember when I took a purchased white shabby chic ballon curtain (from Target) and sewed on two rows of black grosgrain ribbon?

Now a fixed valance!

I originally strung cords through the curtain rings and positioned several 3M Command hooks to tie the cords in place.

However since the curtain fabric was flimsy it never opened and closed evenly or easily as a full length curtain. 

 Plus the cords were so ugly hanging below the curtain.

Finally last week I took the curtain down and laid it out on my cutting table determined to come to a decision on how best to hang it.

I decided the the curtain cords weren't working out and that I liked it as a stationary valance instead.  

It was too much work to restring the cords, cut and tie them off at the right length.  I needed a quick and easy way to fix the rings together to properly hang it as a valance.

I spied a bottle full of large safety pins on my sewing table.  

Could I hook the rings together with a safety pin? 

 Yes, I could and did...one safety pin for each vertical row of rings and the curtain became the perfect valance.  And the safety pin doesn't show through the valance either.

A large safety pin for the rings work well.

The last step was removing the the 3M Command strip hooks that weren't needed any longer for the cords. 

 All went well until the last hook when I discovered the paint came off with the hook.

It's not suppose to do that...
Cords removed.
I still have a few things to do in the bathroom but at least the valance is finished...my black on white.

Through the looking glass...
A view from the hallway...

Next I have a few more touches of black to add to the room and maybe some white rugs too.

Do you like my Black on White treatment?

4 comments:

  1. I like it as a stationaruy valance, Sandy. Good call with the safety pins xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! and very clever too. That is how we do things here at Corn! "make it do"

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Sandy,
    Your Black on White treatment looks marvelous♡♡♡ You must be very talented lady with han work.
    Thank you very much for stopping by and sweet comment♪ Your blog looks really seasonal and lovely. I'm following you now and I hope you don't mind♬♬♬
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*
    ps> Miyako is my real first name.

    ReplyDelete