Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Cardinal and The Canary

Going to the Birds!

My Little Bird Lamps!

The Cardinal and The Canary!

I adore them still...after all these years.


I saw these Bird Lamps in Marshall Fields at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois years and years ago.  I just fell in love with them.  I picked two out that were my favorites and Hubby surprised me at Christmas with them.   I believe they were $35 apiece.    

At the time we hadn't been married that long...it may have been our second married Christmas because I remember being in our second apartment (Countryside) in Palatine, Illinois.   We will be married 37 years this May so these lamps are probably around 35 years old now.  They have weathered the years gracefully...only two little chips on one of the flowers on the yellow canary bird.  But then I have a few "chips" too after all these years. 

These little bird lamps have sat on our dresser since then.  I'm sorry... but I don't change things to be "in style".  If I love something it usually stays in my decor.  The light glow from them is so soft and it bathes the birdies beautifully. 

Cardinal

Canary


Next week I'll share with you another beautiful piece I have from Marshall Fields.  



There are more REDs to enjoy with our host, Sue, at 

It's A Very Cherry World


for REDnesday!


7 comments:

  1. I love them! We have two cardinal couples living in our backyard. We enjoy watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have have figurines that look like the birds on your lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lamps are beautiful. I love birds, they remind me of my mom. I used to shop at Woodfield when I lived in Arlington Hts.years ago. It's a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful sentimental post - love the lamps and the story behind them as well.;)
    I do not think I own one single personal thing that is over 30 years old.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, when I love something I don't want to change it all the time.M.
    Cheers
    Heleny SIL is always redecorating. I don't know how she does it. I like to add little bits as I go along and my taste doesn't change much over the years

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you held on to those lamps all these years, because they're really beautiful and timeless!
    Happy REDnesday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi... I found you through the Rednesday Linky. I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete