Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Our Christmas Garland on a Shoestring

Making the garland...

Our Shoestring Christmas Garland

Last year we strung fake green garland around the front door and we liked it so well we decided to do it again this year.  This time I put it together in the house...much easier...last year I struggled to put it together outside.  See you can teach an old dog new tricks!

All the materials I had on hand so it basically didn't cost us anything to do the garland this year.  

Materials:

  • three six foot fake green garlands from Michaels ($2 each);
  • red plastic ribbon (two rolls at $1.37 each);
  • spool of wire;
  • ribbon maker;
  • plaid ribbon;
  • white plastic tie tags;
  • white pine cones (from our yard).
The plastic ribbon doesn't make the best bow but it should weather well.   I used plastic tie tags to hook the three green garlands together..in the middle...at each end...and between each half.  I used the wire to attach the ribbons and the white pine cones to the garland.  Hubby hung it up for me using plastic tie tags.
We decided not to put ornaments or lights on it...we rather liked the more natural look. 


Looking Good!

We had to cut the ribbons strings off so they wouldn't catch in the storm door!  

Presenting our front door garland!

It's looking pretty good for spending less than $15 in materials found around the house...wouldn't you say?

We love it!  

The only decorating left outside is to do the front door.  That's pretty easy.  I'm glad we finished this early because I heard it was going to be colder this coming weekend.  

Please join me for:
Make It My Day at Backyard Eden
Gina at The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Artie at Color Outside the Lines for Vignette Fridays


Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Wendy at The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday
 Tammy at Tinsel & Company for Deck The Halls Friday (here). 
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show of Your Cottage Monday

Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday  

19 comments:

  1. Sandi, It looks lovely! Clever girl. No Christmas decorations here till after the 1st. I'm not as enthusiastic about Christmas as you are. (I know how you love it !!)
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks wonderful! very professional I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy, beautiful garland you made! And I live the granny colourcombination red-blue-white on your flickr...
    Love, Maaike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty!!! Did you know here in Guatemala almost everybody uses fake garlands and trees? We are up to saving the environment during the holidays I suppose :o) We certainly need the trees around, and the holiday decorations, with a little imagination and creativity, look just as lovely :o)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great Sandy very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I would LOVE to hear stories about the German shepherd you had. Such wonderful dogs!
    Pamela :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the garland sooooo much! It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garland looks terrific. Great idea to buy three to get it really full. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy this is really quite lovely. I love that you were able to create this for a fraction of a "designer" version. Yours is absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks gorgeous! I would love to do something like that at our place but the hot summer sun would ruin it for sure. That is one of the many bad things about having Christmas Down Under!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a million bucks!! Love it!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie @ A Debbie-Dabble Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there~ It looks just lovely! I love garland over and around a front door- and your front door looks perfect for it! The ribbon and pine cones are darling! Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks awesome! I picked up the sweetest silk garland at Hobby Lobby this week for $3.99 (half off price). I plan to use it on the mantle. Maybe I can get that decorated tomorrow. :-) Gotta love frugal decorating anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The garland looks great! Wish I had your energy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE it! The perfect blend of greens, red and pinecones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks wonderful around your door. It is always nice to have something look good without spending a fortune! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fantastic! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a fabulous week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete