Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Mom's Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese

The ingredients!

Uncooked macaroni, cheese, salt and pepper.  Oh, I forgot the milk.  


Don't faint...I actually do cook sometimes.  

So...I thought I would share my Mom's Easy Macaroni and Cheese recipe with you.  

Hubby and I just love this simple meal - particularly on a cold winter's night.  

Makes a meal for two:
One heaping cup of uncooked macaroni
Update:  Oops... that should be 8 oz.
One pound of sharp cheddar cheese
A little bit of milk 
Salt and pepper to taste.

Just increase the ingredients to make for more than two people.
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until forms a nice crust.

You can make this ahead of time and store in the refrigerator and pop into the oven when ready to bake.  

Grate 8 oz. a pound of sharp cheddar cheese.

Boil the water needed.  

Salt the water and add the uncooked macaroni - I put in a heaping one cup for a meal for two - and continue boiling the macaroni for eight minutes.

Drain the cooked macaroni.

See the stream coming off the cooked noodles!

I use my favorite 1 quart casserole dish...my Mom's vintage Hall's Cookware from the 1940s.  

Spray PAM (or any no-stick cooking spray) on the bottom and sides of your dish - it makes clean up so much easier.

Add just enough milk (I use non-fat milk) to cover the bottom of the dish.

Layer the cooked macaroni then grated cheese...salt and pepper to taste...three times.


Bake in a 350 degree oven an hour or until a nice crust forms on top.

We like it nice and crusty.

Dish out and enjoy! 

It's a one dish meal... all we add is a piece of buttered bread.   

Enjoy!


9 comments:

  1. Yum, yum!!! I really love mac and cheese, and with sharp cheese it would be even better, so simple, but so good. Thanks for reminding me of this simple wonderful dish. Antique Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh I love mac cheese and can you believe I can't have it now eating Primal !! I can have the cheese with out the mac !
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish and soooo easy.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe Sandy this looks sooo good - I'm going to make it this week!!
    I don't think we have Pam here but I gather it is a spray oil - right??
    Thanx for your Mum's recipe.
    I love all your Christmas things too - I bet your house is a joyful place at Christmas time!
    hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, looks very yummy indeed! We LOVE our mac 'n cheese, it really is our comfort food of choice. There's just nothing better than honest to goodness simple cooking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmmmm! Delicious! I must now grocerie shop and make mac n Cheese! Have a great Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so cheesy delicious! Thanks for the kind comments on my beautiful dd!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing.... l'm no cook but l'll give this a go looks so yummy
    Hugs Suz x

    ReplyDelete