Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mosaic Monday - Our Red Maple



Our Red Maple is the last tree in our yard to change colors.  It holds its leaves longer than our Mountain Green Maple.  It's a pretty tree with a very nice shape to it.  

It is lucky to be alive because I almost kill it several years ago.  

One Christmas my brother and his wife gave me a log that you could fill with peanut butter and put out for the birds.  I decided to put it on our Red Maple tree so I tied it up on the trunk with rope.  I filled it the first year but neglected it the second year and left it hanging there.  In the Fall of maybe even the 3rd year I noticed lines on the tree (this was after the leaves had dropped) and went to inspect it.  Imagine my horror when I realized that the lines I saw going around the tree were where the rope was placed.  The tree had had a burst of growth and had grown over and around the rope!  There was just one small area left where the rope hadn't cut off the flow of the bark which is what may have saved the tree from dying.  Hubby came out and cut out the rope out as best as he could and we crossed our fingers that the tree wouldn't die.  

Luckily it didn't.  

You can see where the rope was wrapped around the tree.

Parts are hanging out.

Here the tree grew around the rope.  Hubby has cut out the rope here.

Line where rope was cut out by Hubby!

Our Red Maple tree today!

Glory of LIfe!

Please join Mary at The Little Red House (here) for more Mosaic Monday!


Come back tomorrow for my FIRST Give Away!

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tree! And a neat little story to go along with it. I'm so glad it lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it made it...it's beautiful, that's for sure. I love the fall colors, don't you.
    Thanks for sharing.
    glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Maple tree is just glorious. Such a lucky tree! Have a great week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunningly beautiful fall day. Love the pics of the rope. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your red maple is just gorgeous. Love the story about growing around the rope! Trees are amazing and this one wanted to stay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed! Glory of life! Very nicely done! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your maple tree had a strong will to live and look what beauty it had to show you. Lovely tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful tree and we all are glad it survived. MB

    ReplyDelete