Friday, June 25, 2010

Our "Home" away from "Home"


It's Show and Tell Friday!

To join Cindy's My Romantic Home we must post about something from our home or garden.  Well, since we are traveling to Alaska we are away from our home base.  However, our RV is our "home" while we are on the road so I thought I would show you what the interior of our "home away from home" looks like in the above mosaic. 

We travel in what is called a 5th wheel travel trailer which is towed by our Ford F350 pick up truck.  Our RV is a Hitchhiker Discover America 33 feet long with three slides.  It is quite roomy once the three slides are out - one in the bedroom, one in the dinette and another for the small sofa.  The RV is like a suite in a classy hotel complete with microwave, oven, refrig, pantry, dinette, two comfortable recliners, a small sofa bed, full bath with shower, A/C, heat, central vacum, queen size bed and two HD TVs (one with surround sound).   

It takes about an hour to set it up and about two hours to break it down (I'm always slower in the mornings).  We have to unhitch or hitch the truck depending on if we are arriving or leaving a campground and then hook up or unhook the electric, water and/or sewer and cable TV (if available).  Then we raise or lower the front end to level it.  Once everything is done outside we extend the room slides and put out things that were put away for traveling.  We couldn't be more comfortable on the road.  This isn't "camping" it's Rving and we love it.






Please join Cindy at My Romantic Home (here) for more Show and Tell Friday.  Hope you enjoyed the tour of our traveling "home".

Sandy at Teacup Lane 

14 comments:

  1. Awesome....looks like a neat treat all the way around!

    My Show n Tell is 'showing off the flowers...". Do come by if you have time today, I'd love to have you visit with me.

    <a href="http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/2010/06/shades-of-summer.html</a> Hootin' Anni's SHADES OF SUMMER</a>

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought you were roughing it!! LOL!! I have seen some of these Rv's & they are like 4 Star hotels....
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Love,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy,
    No wonder you love travelling in your fantastic setup. I'm so glad you have shown us around. It looks very comfortable and quite cosy inside. I guess you will be needing cosy in Alaska ( is it ever warm up there?)
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am chuckling Sandy - your "Home away from Home" is a tad bigger than my "Home away from Home" !!!!!!!!! It looks lovely and luxurious - I think I might be a bit nervous whilst its being towed! I think you roads are wayyy wider than ours. Thank you so much for sharing I have really enjoyed it........one day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Sandy, very much enjoyed your tour around your wonderful RV. This is a dream of mine and am looking st the moment to find a used one to make over and make my own. As a child in Europe, we traveled all over in a VW Camper and I am very grateful to have been able to see so much.

    As you are on the road to Alaska, I wish you "Happy Travels". Will come to visit you again.

    Till than....Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming. Like a real house on wheels. Now, that would be the kind of camping I would actually do.

    And yes, I see those stunning flowers on the table. They didn't get lost with the sight of the pancakes.

    Which let's me know it's time to grab a bowl of cereal, shower up and head out. Finally, some sun here today.

    Have a great weekend. Where are you heading next?

    Kate - T.G.B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your RV Sandy! I am hungry and those pancakes look yummy! My parents have a huge RV (but not a 5th wheel) and it amazes me how comfortable it is.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's one snazzy RV!
    But ... a big difference between the RV and a hotel -- no room service, no maids! :-P

    I'm lazy when I travel, but I do see the appeal of having your own "home" with you when you go long distance. It's amazingly roomy! Thanks -- I've never been "inside" an RV before -- yours is very nice.

    Enjoy your trip!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday! I am stopping by via the linky party.

    Your home looks utterly charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your home away from home is absolutely lovely! What fun it must be to see parts of the country this way. I'm amazed at how roomy it is. Well, take care and thanks for sharing. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sandy
    Wonderful tour there of your home away from home on wheels. I'm heading over to Kodiak Tue the 29th and returning July 4th. I'm letting you know in case you should pull into town when I'm gone. Hopefully we can time it so we meet.
    Happy Travels. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That brekkie certainly looks enticing. Your "home" looks a lot better than many hotels/accomodations - absolutely lovely

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now THAT is how I'd like to travel when camping, but all we have is a pop-up camper and that isn't quite as cozy, sugar! I love it though.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful rolling home! :-) When I read that you carry it along behind your truck, I thought of "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. I do hope you've seen that - if not, please try to find it and enjoy with your husband! A great movie about the struggles of two newlyweds traveling across the U.S. with a giant trailer attached to the back of the car. Happy travels to you!

    ReplyDelete